Cannabis Science and Technology
Volume 1, Number 2, June/July 2018
Cannabis Science and Technology June/July 2018 Table of Contents
- I Can’t Afford Good Science: The Battle Between Economics and Method Development in the Emerging Cannabis Market
How is “good” science achieved when governments take no active role in establishing limits, validating methods, or issuing guidelines?
- Medical Cannabis: Back to the Future After a Brief Push to the Past
A look at recent policy reversals concerning medical cannabis
- Determination of Multiple Metals in Cannabis Samples Using ICP-MS and ICP-OES
Jenny Nelson, Craig Jones, and Neli Drvodelic
Both ICP-MS and ICP-OES can be used for the quantitative analysis of multiple elements in cannabis samples following acid digestion.
- A Comprehensive Approach to Pesticide Residue Analysis in Cannabis
Rick Jordan, Lilly Asanuma, Dan Miller, and Anthony Macherone
A straightforward acetonitrile extraction using a solidphase extraction cartridge and targeted dispersive solid-phase extraction cleanup is presented
- Cannabis Quality Control Testing Using Gas Chromatography
Gas chromatography (GC) is a successful analytical technique for cannabis testing that provides opportunities to advance the cannabis industry.
- The Quantitative Determination of Phytocannabinoids in Hemp Oils Using HPLC with UV Detection
Craig Young and Bob Clifford
A procedure for the quantitative determination of 11 important cannabinoids in hemp oil using HPLC with UV detection is presented here.
- Holding Data to a Higher Standard, Part I: A Guide to Standard Production, Use, and Data Validation
The accreditation, regulation, and guidelines around the manufacture and use of standards and CRMs are explored.
- Applying Ultrasonic Energy to Cannabis Production and Quality Control
Robert Sandor and Kirsten Blake
How does ultrasonic equipment work, and how is the equipment applied in laboratory practices and manufacturing?
- Pioneering Spirits: Three Women Leaders in Cannabis Science Share Their Trials, Tribulations, Successes, and Advice
Inspiring stories of passion and persistence from the amazing efforts of some truly pioneering women
- Preview of the 2018 Cannabis Science Conference
An interview with Josh Crossney on what this year’s conference will offer attendees
- Cannabis News Focus
- Application Notes
Volume 1, Number 1, March/April 2018
Cannabis Science and Technology March/April 2018 Table of Contents
- Can Analytical Testing Quality Be Assured in the Cannabis Industry?
The basic principles of quality assurance and laboratory accreditation are discussed here as well as the current status of voluntary methods in development.
- Empowering the Cannabis Consumer in a Rapidly Expanding Global Market
What should we do about the overproliferation of cannabis strains?
- Choosing Analytical Tools to Assess Complex Cannabis-Infused Matrices
Allegra Leghissa, Zacariah L. Hildenbrand, and Kevin A. Schug
Different edibles are considered based on their composition, and different sample preparation strategies are discussed that may be appropriate for analyzing the different products.
- Metals in Cannabis and Related Substances—Regulations and Analytical Methodologies
Andrew P. Fornadel, Daniel L. Davis, Robert H. Clifford, and Scott A. Kuzdzal
A look at the analytical methodologies, challenges facing the analyst, and notes on regulatory stipulations
- Using Method Detection Limits to Set Mandatory Reporting Limits for Banned Pesticides: How a Public–Private Partnership Improved Cannabis Regulation in Colorado
Joseph Konschnik, Heather Krug, and Shawn Kassner
How a collaborative public–private partnership where state government agencies worked side by side with laboratories and growers toward a common goal worked for Colorado
- Improved Workflow in the Analysis of Pesticide Residues in Cannabis by GC–MS/MS and LC–MS/MS
Katherine K. Stenerson and Gary Oden
In this work, several steps were developed to improve the workflow in the analysis of pesticide residues from cannabis plant material.
- Goal-Oriented Extraction Processes
How a goal-oriented approach can help you focus on finding the best fit between process and physicochemical product attributes
- General Application of QuEChERS Extraction in the Isolation of Cannabinoids
Douglas E. Raynie
This tutorial discusses the methods to prepare samples for analysis in consensus-based methods for cannabinoid analysis.
- The Evolution of Cannabis Quality Control Testing
An interview with Lori Glauser and Chris Martinez, of EVIO Labs, on what lies ahead for cannabis quality control testing laboratories
- From the Publishers
- From the Editor
- Cannabis News Focus
- Application Notes